What if tenure were outlawed tomorrow? Â What would happen?
Some teachers who haven’t been teaching would get laid off. Â
- This would be a good thing.
- It would also encourage others to keep doing their jobs.
- A sweeping round of layoffs would be demoralizing.
Some good teachers who have high seniority, and the attendant price tag, would get laid off.
- We would expect that they would be hired by someone else, but perhaps not. Â How do you prove you are the high seniority gifted teacher rather than the poor teacher who hasn’t been working?
- This would be negative for the teacher, financially and emotionally.
- It would be bad for the students because some good teachers would be gone.
Some bad teachers would not be laid off.
- They have social clout or are donor’s family members.
- It would appear to those outside that the teacher is good, else they would be laid off.
- The status of the college would go down with those in the know, because they would know a bad teacher was being kept on when all the excuses were gone.
Some good teachers would not be laid off, despite high seniority.
- Their administrations would recognize their worth. Â Thus they would be feel more valued than before.
- A meritocracy would begin to be formed, since only good teachers would be kept on at higher wages.
So, what do you think? Â What else would happen if tenure were abolished tomorrow? Â I would really like to know.