These are CFPs that interest me.
The Apocalypse and Disaster in Culture
Abstracts are due by November 16th and should be submitted to the submission database found at conference2013.swtxpca.org. For more information, please visit www.swtxpca.org. If you have any questions about the area, email area chair Shane Trayers at [email protected]
Ideas for topics on Apocalypse and Disaster:
* Real examples: â€œDoomsday Preppersâ€ television documentary, Bath salt â€œZombieâ€ attacks, Tornadoes, Hurricane Katrina, Tsunami, East Coast Earthquake, Volcanoes, Ice Age apocalypse, Aurora Shootings.
* Atomic culture: bomb shelters, civil defense, Los Alamos and other Manhattan Project sites
(life, work, tourism, preservation), Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Cuban Missile Crisis, representations in the press, public history, etc.
* Film: Melancholia, Resident Evil, Terminator, 2012, The Core, Daybreakers, Zombieland, End of Days, Independence Day, Night of the Comet, Day after Tomorrow, Armageddon, The War of the Worlds,
Last Night, 12 Monkeys, The Road, The Book of Eli, Children of Men, The Matrix, Crimson Tide, Contagion, Danteâ€™s Peak, Twister, Thirteen Days, etc.
* TV: Falling Skies, The Walking Dead, Dark Angel, Jericho, Battlestar Galactica, Invasion, V, Revolution, etc. * Literature: Pesthouse, The Road, Children of Men, Alas Babylon, The Stand, etc.
* Comic books and video games: Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil etc.
* Poetry: William Butler Yeats, Gerald Stern, etc.
* Religious Apocalypse: Revelations and other religious apocalyptic texts.
* Apocalypse as response to terrorism, conservatism, gender issues
* Cultural Apocalypse of native cultures through colonization.
* Apocalypse and disaster as response to economic issues, capitalism, or consumerism.