You should ask for these things on the first day of class. Â And do not think you have them just because they are on some handout the school gave you. Â Phone numbers change and people move and accounts get deleted or are unread.
- You might need to call them.
- They might call you but not give a phone number.
- They might call and you canâ€™t understand the number.
- You might need to get in touch with them at an inconvenient time to call.
- Writing gives you time to review your communication.
- Handouts and exercises for missed assignments may need to be sent.
Because there is not a lot more annoying than being called “Sharon” when you go by “Elizabeth” or “John” when you go by “Mike.”
I know I don’t like it and you would not either. Â So make sure you ask students what they want to be called.
As an aside, I tell the story of a high school student who told the sub he wanted to be called Fred. Â I knew the sub and she told me, so I called the student Fred in class until he finally admitted he had just been causing problems for the sub and agreed to not do so again. Â …It took two weeks of being Fred.